With the kids heading back to school, weeknights may be extra busy for families that enjoyed a calm, relaxing summer. Between work, picking up the kids, helping them with homework, and dropping them off at extracurriculars, preparing meals and washing dishes afterwards can add extra stress and time to our already-tight schedules. What if I told you that I have a recipe that is perfect for busy weeknights? Well, this taco spaghetti recipe is quick, nutrient-packed, and kid-friendly for even the pickiest of eaters. The best part? It only uses one pan, so clean-up is a breeze! Enjoy with your favorite toppings to make this simple recipe a family favorite!
One-Pan Taco Spaghetti (Serves 5)
· 1 lb ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, venison, etc.)
· 1 (1-1.25 oz) packet taco seasoning
· 10 oz can tomatoes with chiles
· 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 tbsp tomato paste
· 8 oz uncooked spaghetti
· 1 cup water
· 14 oz can low-sodium chicken, vegetable, or beef broth
· 1 cup shredded cheese(s) of choice
· Optional Toppings: avocado, green onion, cilantro, sour cream/plain greek yogurt, jalapenos, diced tomato, etc.
1. Heat ~1 tbsp of oil in pan. Brown ground meat over medium-high heat (3-5 minutes).
2. Add packet of taco seasoning to meat and mix well. Drain excess fat.
3. Stir in canned tomatoes, black beans, tomato paste, spaghetti, water, and broth.
4. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer until pasta is cooked (~15 minutes).
5. Remove from heat and top with cheese. Stir.
6. Serve with additional toppings of your choice to make it your own!